Images

Chocolate & Brioche Ice Cream

When I was younger I once ate a two litre tub of Ice Cream with my cousin. We were at our grandparents house and they were busy in another room. They told us we could have some and my grandad came back to find we had eaten it all. He wasn't angry though, he just laughed, he thought it was hilarious. My gran was less impressed. There was just something about how cold it was that I used to love about Ice Cream. And I wasn't all that choosy about the flavour either, I ate them all except Tutti Fruity and Rum and Raisin. Oh yes, Pistachio used to annoy me too, but only because I would think it was mint every single time I saw it. Then came those horrible few seconds where you realised it wasn't. Every time. I once ate an entire box of Toffee Feast's too...I was so greedy! To this day I can't look at them without feeling sick.

As I've gotten older, my metabolism has slowed down and I've developed a slight lactose intolerance so it's very rare for me to have any ice cream of any flavour. But for the last couple of months I've been craving it (especially Raspberry Ripple, which I can't find anywhere) and I figured I'd rather make my own than waste this rare occurrence on a flavour I only kind of like. The ice cream machine is an attachment to my Kenwood mixer and the poor summer last year and crappy spring this year means I've hardly used it since it was bought for me at the start of last year, it was crying out to be used!

This is another recipe that took a while but only because of the two flavours. Had I done this as one flavour it would have taken me around an hour and a half tops (not including churning time or time to make the brioche if you choose to do so instead of buying it). Please note this recipe contains raw eggs so if you are worried or can't have them either 'cook' the eggs in the sugar syrup (in a bowl over  a pan of boiling water whisking constantly) or use egg substitute.

Vanilla Brioche Ice Cream:

600ml Double Cream
6 large handfuls Brioche Breadcrumbs
2 Small handfuls Vanilla Cupcake Crumbs
2 teaspoons Vanilla
115g Sugar (Caster or Granulated if you have none)
160ml Water
4 Egg Yolks

Chocolate Ice Cream:

600ml Double Cream
275g Plain Chocolate
110g Butter
165g Sugar (I used very dark chocolate but cut down if you use regular dark chocolate)
160ml Water
4 Whole Eggs

Brioche chunks (either make or buy)
Caramel
Milk

Firstly the brioche and cupcakes. Chop or break these up roughly and add them to a food processor.





I then placed most of the chunks in the blender to make crumbs and left the rest whole. Place the cream, brioche breadcrumbs and vanilla in a large pan (or bowl for the purposes of the photo!)


The bigger bits are brioche and the smaller buts are vanilla cupcake crumbs. I thought I'd taken pictures but can't find them, I promise they're there though.


Bring this to a light boil then remove from the heat and place to one side. Next Boil the Sugar and water and beat the eggs. While still beating add the sugar and then, finally add the cream mixture and transfer the entire mixture to your ice cream machine. It was dark by the time my machine was finished churning so I put it straight into the freezer to set over night.

The following day I started the Chocolate Ice Cream.

Place the butter in a pan, once it starts to melt add the chocolate and, once it begins to soften, stir to blend.



Then add the water and sugar to a pan and boil until it forms a syrup.



At this stage you need to beat the eggs.



Then trickle in the syrup while still beating.


Then turn your attention to the cream. Add this to the eggs whilst still beating.




Once thickened, add the chocolate, then beat again.




This was then poured into the ice cream maker and churned until frozen. I had removed the vanilla brioche ice cream from the freezer to soften so I could combine the two flavours more easily.


I placed the remaining chunks of brioche into the oven to toast then removed and let cool and firm up further. Then I added a drop of milk and a few heaped tablespoons of caramel to a pan. Once melted I added the brioche and stirred gently (so I didn't break them) until all the liquid had been absorbed.



I didn't want the chocolate ice cream to be too firm so I stopped the machine when it was still a little soft.


Then it was time to assemble!

The vanilla was nice and soft by then so I added this in random sized scoops along with handfuls of the brioche and the chocolate ice cream.


I didn't want layers so I did this in a bowl then added it all to my tub.








Then pour this into your container (and all over the flour, radiator and the washing you are currently drying because your container is too small) and place in the freezer to set. And the next day you have this...magic!






Time consuming? Yes. But definitely worth it.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. A great idea to mix all of these flavors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you like it. It tastes awesome! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow yum, your ice cream sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. About to take some to my family for a real taste test. :)

      Delete