Images

Vegetable Dumplings

These are not unshaped gnocchi. Gnocchi contain eggs and cheese and these contain none. I had some root vegetables that I needed to use up before I went shopping so I thought I'd give these a go. They were actually very nice and I could really taste the butternut squash in them, as opposed to them being too doughy. The ext time I make them I may add cheese to the actual dumplings as they were quite nice having the cheese with them.

This made a lot of mix so I tried out a few different recipes with what I had left. I'll post them at some point too as they were really nice.

For the dumpling I used:

1 Medium Butternut squash
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
1 Small White Potato
Honey
Butter
Single Cream
Salt
Pepper
Self Raising Flour

Start by roasting the vegetables. These could also be boiled but it would be much harder to peel the butternut squash and I find they tend to be more watery when boiled. Butternut squash has a very thick skin, making them extremely difficult to peel. You'll know they are done roasting when a fork is able to pierce the skin with little to no effort.



 Once done the skin becomes very thin making it possible to just peel off.


Scoop all of the contents from their skins and place in a bowl, obviously remembering to discard the seeds and the skins!





To this you then need to add 1 and a half teaspoons of honey


Followed by salt and pepper and a tablespoon of butter.


Mash this all up and mix together until it's mostly smooth. Then add the cream. I actually added this in two stages just too make sure the mixture wasn't too runny.




Finally, add the flour, a little at a time. You don't want them to be to firm/chewy and the mix should be just rollable. Stop adding flour as soon as the stickiness is gone.




Once the dough reaches the above stage, start rolling. I wasn't to worried about the shape so I just pinched off pieces of dough and rolled them roughly into balls with my hands.


I then dropped the balls into a pan of water with a little salt, pepper and stock. I cooked them for around 10 minutes then removed them from the pan and added them to a frying pan with a small amount of oil. This was just because I wanted a small amount of crunch to them, and I didn't fry them or long at all.


I served them with some thinly sliced cheese and nothing else. I may make a sauce for them the next time I make them as I plan on adding the cheese into the dumplings. This time, though, they were delicious with just the sliced cheese on top. I will try and post the rest of the dumpling recipes this week. I have a lot of other recipes I need to post though so It may be next week.


0 comments: