Images

Lost...


I have finally calmed down. Losing all of my pictures after only just getting my camera working seemed, during my moment of high drama yesterday, like some sort of sick joke. I wailed like a child. Anyone that knows me will testify that crying is not really my thing, it's not what I do. But yesterday I sat on my bed, held my laptop, stared at the "no images found" message for the 100th time and cried like I had actually lost the people contained within those shots. How could such a thing happen to me? What had I done to deserve that. The humour of losing the shots I'd just taken, shots that had taken around an hour to pose, was lost on me. And losing shots like this...



 ...a perfect moment of playfulness and defiance? Not even slightly funny. "So why didn't you back them up?", chorused all the smug, smart arsed, obvious people. I did. I did back them up. Everyone has that one area where they seem to be jinxed. Mine is electrical equipment. I can work it just fine, better than just fine in fact. I'm a graduate in the school of thought that manuals are for wimps. I dive straight in, making laptops, phones and all their gadget mates my hardwired bitches. Take that Quick Start Guide! Suck on these you overly long manual in languages I don't understand. I'm in charge and today you are nought but my gadgety minions. But inevitably it all goes wrong. I don't suddenly forget how to use them or anything. They strangely just...stop working. Perfectly good bits of technology, well within their guarantee period, just refusing to even turn on. If the rise of the machines came about it would start in my house. A couple of weeks before my camera got wiped I turned on my laptop and saw the Blue Screen of Death. I lost it all. And I do mean I lost it ALL because a couple of weeks before that I plugged in my external hard drive only to see a message that may as well have just said "Fuck off, you bore me!". So when the camera got wiped, when last line of defence fell to the machines inexplicable rise to domination, I cried. Like a bitch. Mainly, because of him...


My nephew. I took these pictures at least a year ago. Or possibly almost exactly a year. I seem to remember him blowing out candles. I thought these were lost forever and I can't find the words to describe how angry that made me. I mean, look at that cheeky face. I don't think anyone can understand how much I cried.


How can you not shed a tear for that pose? A child clearly in a hurry to play on what I think was a brand new bike, but still finding the time to stop and give me a smile.


I wont lie, I think he's looking at sweets here. You don't think he just posed for the hell of it do you? Please, he's far too busy riding bikes for all these picture taking shenanigans!

So how did I get the pictures back? Well I was telling someone all about my lost weekend and he said the magic word, Facebook. Now, I deactivated my Facebook a couple of months back. Did you ever watch that film "A Series Of Unfortunate Events"? This is starting to sound a bit like that isn't it? Well it's not all bad because the ever wise, all knowing Facebook don't make it easy to find that delete button. So, though the countless status updates of "I can't believe you did that and NO this isn't about YOU" had driven me away, it was easy enough to come back. I simply logged in again and, Voila, there he was. Along with a couple of other cuties I'd banished...


Another happy birthday boy


A puppy that grew into a much loved dog. A dog that had to be re-homed because the new landlord wouldn't accept her..


The cake I made that was so delicious looking it makes me question why I'm fasting today.

There they all were. I saved every single one to my computer then DELETED my Facebook. I live on the edge like that. There were countless images I lost, loads that I had taken after I deactivated Facebook. My trip to Spain, the snow outside my old house and countless pictures of cakes, cookies, chocolates and other tasty things. All gone. But, if I'm honest, I managed to salvage the best ones. I mean, I can and will bake more cakes and you can be damn sure I'll be taking pictures of them. But I bruised my ankles jumping in front of a speeding child on a three wheel for this shot.


I'm not doing that again any time soon...

0 comments: