Images

I Smell Summer...


It's amazing how a sunny day can put you in an instant good mood. Today was bitterly cold but beautifully sunny and bright. I was beyond chirpy. It's the sort of weather that makes you start formulating plans. I declared that "I need to start crafting more again!". Where I struggle for inspiration in the Winter, ideas are so abundant on days like today that I find it hard to focus on what I need to do. My mind wanders..."I'll make a giant cookie, iced like a letter and send it to someone", "I'll make a sculpture/Installation, I wonder if there are any open art competitions currently?!", "I'm going to work out extra hard tonight"...and so on. I love it! But the thing I thought of most was a summer holiday.

Last year I went away for a week to Spain in September. My mother and I decided to go to Madrid at the last minute and I spent a couple of hours today looking at some of the pictures. The best ones are on my camera (I ordered a new charger tonight) so I could only flick through the ones on my phone. They bought back some amazing memories, mainly of how hot it was. I mean, seriously, I woke up one morning to a picture on my phone of what looked like the sun on fire. I didn't know such a weather status existed. It was HOT!



We would rise early (partly because it was too bright/hot to sleep and partly to make the most of our day) and head straight down to breakfast. Once we had eaten, which was difficult to do in the 23 degree, 9am heat, I would head to the sanctuary of the air conditioned gym for an hour whilst my mum got ready to go out for the day. Once I was dressed it was off into town. It's a stunning place...



We were staying close to the airport which meant away from the town.This meat we had to take the bus in everyday so no stopping for pictures! The bus drivers in Spain are...It's an adventure! They DO NOT STOP! I watched one driver shut a woman in his doors twice as she tried to get on because she questioned him about being late (at least I think she was, my Spanish is bad). There was much shouting.


Another driver let an old lady on only to take off at full speed before she had a chance to sit down. She dropped her change and banged her ankle. I asked her if she was o.k and if she would like my seat which prompted her telling me how annoyed she was with him and showing me the damage he had done to her leg. Again, I speak no Spanish so this is all assumption. I sympathised as best I could considering the language barrier and, seemingly placated she wandered (stumbled, he was still driving pretty fast) towards the designated elderly seats towards the middle of the bus. My mother and I exchanged glances. Apart from the old lady's pain it was hilariously absurd.

The final contestant for "How did you get this job" decided that he would take a detour. Apparently there was an accident and it was quicker. He told nobody. Locals and people familiar with the journey (and correct route) toppled towards the front to ask him where he was going. He explained to them what was happening in a sort of  "Are you stupid/Don't make me punch you" kind of way. I enjoyed the new views and took more pictures. My mother enjoyed the free comedy and laughed into her handbag while pretending to look for something.




Once we'd gotten into the town we did what any normal people would do, shopped. Madrid has some amazing fashion and, maybe I had a poor grasp of exchange rates, but it seemed much more affordable than the UK. I purchased more modestly than my mother, who had to buy another bag to take on the plane since she'd run out of space (SPOILER: She still couldn't fit it all in!). In terms of dining the back roads seemed to be the best for authentic Spanish food (and Starbucks...!).



Unfortunately we didn't realise this until the last day and had spent most of our time complaining about the lack of authentic Spanish cuisine whilst eating fast food...oops!
We did however take in some culture in the form of a gallery. It was yet another hot day and the walk from the bus stop was a tad too long in heels for my liking, but once we got there? Well worth it.


We had lunch up on the stunning roof terrace and enjoyed the heat before it became unbearable.


Then it was back to the hotel by mid afternoon before we burst into flames. On a couple of lucky days we were able to nap, shower and head back out for supplies when it had cooled down. Other than that, despite the lack of a pool, we just enjoyed the hotel facilities. It really was stunning and the staff were extremely helpful in suggesting where we should go each day.


By the time we were leaving I was definitely well roasted and ready to go. But now, with that little bit of sunshine we had today...I can't wait for this years summer holiday. Maybe not Madrid, since I like to see new places and don't get to travel much, but the sun is definitely calling my name and I think I may have to spend tomorrow lunch looking at bargain flights.




0 comments: